How to exfoliate your face
How can I get fresh and radiant skin?
You can achieve this by exfoliating your face and, if you include this treatment in your beauty routine you’ll instantly see incredible results!
By exfoliating your face properly, you can achieve cleaner and thus much brighter skin. And then you can enhance your beauty with a little bit of make-up.
But let’s start with the basics: what does it actually mean to exfoliate your face? Facial exfoliation is a beauty treatment that you can do from the comfort of your own home. All you need is a warm cloth, a good exfoliant and a few minutes of your time! Facial exfoliation allows you to removes the superficial layer of the epidermis which is made up of dead cells, make-up residues, smog and impurities.
How to exfoliate your face
Where to start to properly exfoliate your skin? We'll help you out with a few simple steps and some practical tips!
1. Start by getting your hair out of your face: if you have rather long hair, keep it inside a large towel. Do you have a fringe or a quiff? The solution is a headband, this will avoid your hair getting in your way during your skincare routine.
• The second step is to open up your pores: use a warm damp cloth, place it on your face and dab your skin.
2. Cleanse your face with your favourite KIKO MILANO cleanser that you use in your daily skincare routine.
3. Now you can use an exfoliating product, such as our smoothing exfoliating scrub. Its gel texture is ideal for helping you rid the skin of any make-up residue or impurities, and thanks to rice powder and pumice stone, which will perform a gentle exfoliation, you will have super soft and clean skin!
Massage the entire surface of your face with your hands using gentle circular movements for about 30 seconds, then delicately remove the product with lukewarm water.
Make sure you don't apply the product to the eye contour area, as this is a very delicate area which requires special care.
4. Rinse your face with lukewarm water, removing all traces of product. Lastly, use a gentle toner to help close the pores of your skin or run cold water over your face.
5. Pat your skin dry with a soft, clean towel. Do not rub the towel on your skin as it is a lot more sensitive after a treatment like this.
How often should I do this type of treatment? ideally, doing it once a week, and preferably in the evening, will be more than enough.
6. You can never be too careful with your skin, especially after exfoliating it, which tends to remove the superficial layer of your skin. Take care of your skin by using a hydrating cream and don’t forget to protect it by applying a sun protection product which is suitable for your skin type.
If you’re in a hurry and need a quick exfoliation, don't panic, we've got you! An on-the-go beauty treatment:. Meet our practical exfoliating wipes, perfect to keep in your bag or backpack and to use whenever and wherever you want, especially if you are travelling but don't want to give up having flawless skin. Simply sweep one across your face once and you're done!
On one side of the wipe you will find micro-pearls suitable for exfoliation, while the other side, the smooth one, is suitable for refreshing and caressing your skin.
We recommend that you rinse your face after use and, as always, make sure you hydrate your skin with a good hydrating cream (or sunscreen).
Here are a few tips and tricks
• Be careful not to use the exfoliating product on areas where you have a small graze, wound or burn. If that’s the case, wait a few days or avoid exfoliating that area!
• If you are going through a stressful period, remember to take better care of your skin, with good exfoliation but also with good energising masks!
• Although scrubs are a beauty must-have for everyone, they are particularly suitable for young skin. Combined with a good moisturiser, a scrub is just the thing for fresh and radiant-looking skin.
• There are also specific scrubs for the lips, which are ideal for gently smoothing them and leaving them beautifully soft. You can choose between the practical gentle lip scrub in stick format or a scrub and lip balm duo.
• Even your nails, or rather your cuticles, may also need an exfoliating scrub, so try the exfoliating cuticle treatment pen with Kukui oil: it will remove impurities from the cuticles and leave them looking incredibly smooth.
What’s the difference between an exfoliating product and a scrub?
You may think this is one of those typical questions you get in a quiz, to which you have no idea what to reply, right?
Well, here’s the answer. With scrubbing we refer to the actual circulatory movement used to exfoliate your skin. You can also scrub with special sponges or smoothing products.
It is possible to find scrubs with natural ingredients and a grainy texture, which allow you to maximise the effect of the circular massage and therefore carry out a proper facial exfoliation.
Regarding exfoliation, there are different types, such as peeling or gommage carried out with products containing special acids (glycolic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid) and which are ideal for removing dead cells more effectively.
A simple massage with the cleansing and exfoliating konjac facial sponge is enough to gently scrub your face every day: it is gentle and incredibly practical to use.
Looking for a must-have product to add the final touch to your beauty routine and that, thanks to its medium-fine grain, is suitable for all skin types? Then the exfoliating and smoothing scrub is what you’re after!
New adventures are just around the corner, prep your skin and give it that amazing glow!